Laurie and Ken

Laurie and Ken

Wednesday 23 August 2017


Solving our electrical problems in St Martin

I have been learning a lot about how a boats electrical and solar power works. Since I have had the solar power and the inverter installed there has been a power issue. I was told by the inverter installer that with 3 panels and 3 batteries I would have so much power I would never have any problems! I am finding that this is very wrong. It makes me feel the person that set this up had no knowledge of solar and inverters and battery power. I have 3 solar panels on my bimini top and 3 batteries in my house battery bank. I have been told by the experts here if I want to be able to not start my engine to charge my batteries I would need 2 more bigger solar panels and at least 2 more batteries. That would cost me another $2500.00 . So I’m trying to do my best to keep the cost down by doing a little bit of a work around. My inverter is one of the problems, it’s too big and it uses too much voltage. It’s strange to think it takes a lot of voltage to make just a small amount of voltage but that’s the way it works. I have to buy 2 more mini inverters and use them instead of my big one and that will save a lot of power. I will try this first and see if it will drain my batteries. If it does I will add 1 more battery to my house bank. Sounds easy but on a boat adding a battery is a big job. I did get all of the connections to the water maker finished and it works now BUT, the big inverter does not have enough power to run the pump. So I might have to buy a small generator to run the pump so I can make water.
 
 Trying to make water
 
 The supplier has found an engine fresh water pump for me. They are hard to find and he found one and I think it was in Europe. Normally these pumps are about $600. to $700. I found one at Bristol Marine in Port Credit that’s near Toronto. He tells me he can get one and he will sell it to me for $2500. Here’s a guy that would sell a bottle of water for $1000. after a disaster. My supplier will charge me $800. with shipping. The pump will be here in 3 weeks so that gives me time to do other things while we wait. I have to do one more test with the water pump and if it doesn’t work then I have to figure out is it the pump or the inverter. If I have to buy a new generator they will be in stock in 2 weeks. So this will give us time to get off the boat and explore. Finally!
 We had a great sun set last night.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Need a Residential or Commercial electrician near you? We at Akron Electricians have a team of licensed Electrical Contractor serving the entire Columbus, Ohio area. Your local and affordable electrician. For any electric repair need Call 330-752-8419.

    Electricians Near Me
    Electrical Contractors
    Electric Repair Service
    Residential Electrician Near Me
    Commercial Electrician Near Me

    ReplyDelete