Laurie and Ken

Laurie and Ken

Sunday 28 August 2022

 

October 2021

My next Canadian Base was CFB Camp Aldershot in Kentville Nova Scotia. This is a small training base and we were deploying 450 phones. This would take us three weeks. The Covid rules were a little stricter on the east cost than they were on the west coast. It was a little harder to get a good place to stay and to go out to eat.

                    Aldershot Crest


                                                               Front Gate


                                           CFB Camp Aldershot Nova Scotia

CFB Aldershot Crew
Myself, Ken, Perry

                                                   A few other pictures

Here's something I haven't seen before.  When you cross a busy intersection you pickup a flag and hold it out in front of you as you walk across the street. When you reach the other side you drop it into the cup. I guess it works because a year later I have now seen it used where I live in Collingwood Ontario!

Looking out my window where I'm staying in Kentville


 Not much around in this area. One day another worker Perry and I drove around to see what was in the area. We found a small harbor called Hall's Harbor. We understand it's a great place to buy Lobster.



November 2021

My next stop for me was CFB Great Village. Great Village is a small farm town in Nova Scotia. It's about a 30 minute drive from Truro witch is at the east end of the Bay Of Fundy. This was a very short term job. The were only 12 phones to install here and I would do this one on my own. CFB Great Village is a listening base and is an underground bunker. Again I would have liked to take pictures but we are not allowed. I could only take pictures from outside the base as anyone can. You can see all the antenna's and a hump in the ground where the bunker is buried.


November 2021

My next base was a short trip to 5th Division CFB Gagetown This is the second largest base in Canada. It is 1,100 square kilometers. I would only be here a week to help out and then onto Halifax Nova Scotia. Gagetown is an Army training base. I was here to help with the beginning of the job doing sight survey's. This is to find out all the information about every phone and every device with dial tone. I would eventually return here after Christmas to do more work. Below is map and you can see Gagetown is colored white. It shows how big the base is compared to the rest of the province.

                                                   CFB Gagetown Crest

This is the size of CFB Gagetown in white.


 December 2021

My next base was the Recruiting Center in down town Halifax. This was a two week job with 60 phones to install. I stayed downtown and had a great view of the CFB Halifax dock yard. I also had to be very careful in the downtown area because Covid was starting to get very bad at this time of year.





While I was in the Halifax area I decided to do some sight seeing. I took a drive to Peggy's cove.





                                  Next stop that day was Lunenburg.

                                     Memorial to the Fishermen lost at sea


 Now it was time to go home for Christmas, a nice break from being away.
My next stop was CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick after the new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment