Laurie and Ken

Laurie and Ken

Saturday 27 August 2022

  Sept of 2021

I began to take work out of town working at Canadian Force Bases. There is a project to replace all the old phone systems at the bases across Canada. I decided to take on this work so I would be able to get a full weeks work. Work has been very slow since the pandemic started. My first stop was CFB 19 Wing Comox on Vancouver Island.  Comox is a shared airport, civilian and air force. When I arrived the project was at a stage where we were deploying the phones. We are not allowed to take some pictures while we are on base so some of these pictures are from the internet. It was very exciting to see some of these planes and being up close. 

         CFB Comox Crest                                               Front Gate                                                 

                      
                                            Map of Comox Vancouver Island
                             
Here is some of the equipment that is used at the base.

                                          Aurora Reconnaissance aircraft                                                                                                      Submarine Hunter


                              DHC5 Buffalo Search and Rescue

                                                 CC-295 Kingfisher


                                    CH149 Cormorant Helicopter


While we were working it was great to stop and watch all these air craft practice there landing and take off. I also found out that my friend Ron's father flew out of Comox during WWII. He flew in the Aurora for Demon Squadron searching for submarines. I bought him some memorial items from the Kit shop.


It was great to be on the Island so I could visit with my friend Barb who I have known since I was 12.


I also had a nice surprise when cousin Dorothy drove up from Victoria to have dinner with me.

         A few pictures of the guys at work.

                                              Myself, Chuck, Scott, Ken

I thought working at Base Comox was great. It's always good to get back into the mountains on the west cost. 
                                             Next stop Nova Scotia



No comments:

Post a Comment