Laurie and Ken

Laurie and Ken

Wednesday 24 August 2016

Ahoy From The Poop Deck
 
Yes from the POOP deck. If you are following the blog back in July, I found a leak in the black water tank (holding tank). For all you landlubbers that means the poopoo peepee tank! I hate working on this thing. Well I thought I fixed it but the smell never went away. Laurie went down there and cleaned really good and an hour later it smelled. So I had to do the dirty work again. I wiped everything down real good, and you have to get your head right in there to look around. I loosened all the supports and lifted the tank and wiped underneath to let it dry. DIRTY JOB! Well it was wet again so I had to wipe it again and keep my head in there to watch for the leak. I found it! I always complained about this to the guys that installed it last year. They kept saying "it's a new tank". It was leaking from a place where they mold in a fitting, one drop every 10 seconds. So a little silicon and that stopped the leak. Today I asked the people in the marina to cut me a couple pieces of wood because the wood that was around the holding tank is all rotten.
August 22 we stayed in Amsterdam N.Y. for the night to wait for the rainy weather to pass by. The next night we motored 9 hours and made to Waterford N.Y. at Gate 2. The last 6 locks have about a 150 foot drop so they have 2 safety gates to hold back the water in case something goes wrong.
So August 23 we passed through the last 6 locks and made to the Hudson River ( YIPEEE! ) at Troy N.Y. It was a long way to motor 31 locks in 4 days, we are tired. As we were passing by Troy N.Y. I noticed  our speed was about 1 knot faster than normal. I also noticed that some docks didn't reach the water. We are in tides!!! The water will drop here about 4 feet so we will have to make sure when we tie up to a dock  that it's a floating dock. If it's not we have to keep our tie up lines loose for the changing tide. Something to get use to. Later in the day I notice that we were going 2 knots slower than we usually going and I also noticed the current going by the buoy markers. The tide comes up from New York all the way to the dam in Troy. Here are some pictures of the Hudson before Catskills.
 
Light house with the Catskill mountains in the back ground.
 
Traffic on the Hudson 
 
Some guys boat in Albany.

Some important building in Albany
 
 Troy N.Y.

So now we are in Catskills N.Y. to have the mast put back up. We arrived yesterday around 6 pm and the place was busy with boats having masts going up and coming down.

Hop-O-Nose Marina 

View of the docks
 
We had restaurant food for the fist time in 2 weeks. Great food.
 
 
 
Today we got a lot done and of course it was HOT!. 33 Celsius. Tomorrow I will finish the wiring and then it's shopping at Wallmart!. It's a 1 mile walk and then we will taxi back to the boat. We are planning to leave Friday morning. Now I will have to look at the tide charts. The tides will travel at a speed of 1 1/2 knots so it's best to leave while the tide is falling so I can go with the current. 

No comments:

Post a Comment